Man gets 8 years

Zoe Greszler • Updated Jan 4, 2018 at 5:02 PM

BELLEVUE — A local man received an eight-year prison sentence for beating someone with a baseball bat.

Jordan R. Mellon was sentenced Wednesday in Huron County Common Pleas Court. Mellon also was ordered to pay $400 in restitutions.

Mellon, 32, of 147 McKim St., Bellevue, pleaded guilty to felonious assault on Nov. 14 after prosecutors agreed to dismiss charges of attempted murder and felonious assault.

The assault involved a “love triangle” that turned violent in Bellevue, resulting in one man being hospitalized and a woman being sent to prison.

Bellevue police say Lisa Miller lured the victim, Dustin Gurley, to a secluded place, where Mellon waited with a baseball bat.

Miller, 25, of 294 Southwest St., Bellevue, received a two-year prison sentence Dec. 15. She pleaded guilty to attempted felonious assault after prosecutors agreed to dismiss charges of attempted murder and complicity to felonious assault.

There was “a little bit of a love triangle” involving Mellon, Miller and the 31-year-old Gurley, who also resides in Bellevue, said Bellevue Police Sgt. Marc Linder.

On Sept. 1, Miller drove Mellon to the Bellevue reservoir so he could hide while she went to pick up Gurley under the pretense of a private discussion, the sergeant said. 

“She drove (Gurley) out there saying they wanted to talk about stuff,” he said. “Then she gets out of the car and that’s when Mellon surprises him and beats him with a baseball bat and broke his leg.

“Gurley managed to get away and ran into a field to hide. I guess Mellon couldn’t find him and they drove off. Luckily someone heard him yelling for help and found him in the field.”

Linder said the cause of the assault is unclear and that Miller “just said they wanted to fight,” but the complicated relationships might have played a part.

Gurley sustained a broken leg and several lacerations to the face, which required staples, Linder said. He might have suffered a fractured skull as well. 

“I believe he’s doing all right,” Linder said.

In late August, just prior to the assault, Gurley was indicted by Sandusky County grand jury on charges of failing to comply with police orders and receiving stolen property.

Gurley later pleaded guilty to failure to comply in exchange for the other charge being dismissed. He received three years of probation.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos