Norwalk Reflector: Do you know the different parts of Medicare?

no avatar

Do you know the different parts of Medicare?

By Erin Thompson • Nov 8, 2018 at 2:00 PM

Question: I will rely on Medicare when I retire. Can you explain the different parts of Medicare?

 The different parts of Medicare cover your specific needs. There are four parts, all of which work in tandem to deliver healthcare services.

Part A (hospital insurance): Hospital insurance helps pay for inpatient care in a hospital or skilled nursing facility (following a hospital stay), some home health care, and hospice care.

Part B (medical insurance): Medical insurance helps pay for doctors’ services and many other medical services and supplies that hospital insurance doesn’t cover.

Part C (Medicare Advantage plans): If you have Medicare Parts A and B, you can join a Medicare Advantage plan. Private companies offer Medicare Advantage plans which are approved by Medicare. These plans generally help you pay the medical costs not covered by Medicare Part A and B.

Part D (prescription drug coverage): Prescription drug coverage helps pay for medications doctors prescribe for treatment.

Q: I understand you must have limited resources to be eligible for Extra Help with Medicare prescription drug costs. What does this mean?

A: Resources include the value of the things you own. Some examples are real estate (other than your primary residence); bank accounts, including checking, savings, and certificates of deposit; stocks; bonds, including United States Savings Bonds; mutual funds; Individual Retirement Accounts (IRA); and cash you have at home or anywhere else. To learn more about Extra Help, and to apply online, visit HYPERLINK ""

Q: I lost my Medicare card. How can I get replacement?

A: The easiest and newest way to get a replacement Medicare card is by using your my Social Security account. Visit for more information on how to create an account. You also can get a replacement Medicare card by calling us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Keep your card in a safe place. You don’t want anyone getting hold of your Social Security number. They could steal your identity.


Erin Thompson is a Social Security Administration public affairs specialist in Toledo. She can be reached at 866-331-2257 ext. 33607.


Norwalk Reflector Videos