All tied up: Norwalk-Port Clinton to resume Saturday

Mark Hazelwood • Updated Sep 14, 2019 at 11:40 AM

NORWALK — Weather is an uncontrollable factor.

And both the Norwalk and Port Clinton defenses get a chance to reset as a result.

The Truckers needed just one play to score on their second offensive drive of Friday’s non-league game at Whitney Field against the Redskins. That came after Port Clinton opened its offense with a lengthy scoring drive.

But ultimately, a second weather delay has forced both teams to return at 7 p.m. Saturday with the Truckers and Redskins tied 7-7 with 4:02 left in the first quarter.

“I’m glad it’s basically a full game since we only got eight minutes in — it’s not like we’re coming back just to play four or five minutes of a fourth quarter,” Norwalk coach Todd Fox said. “For us, it’s exciting we get to play in a new Saturday night atmosphere. It’s something different, and we get to reset and get going again.”

Norwalk took the opening kickoff and advanced to the Port Clinton 49-yard line, where the drive stalled and the Truckers were forced to punt.

The Redskins offense then came out firing. Colton Klima connected with Zayne Manning for gains of 12 and 17 yards, respectively, on Port Clinton’s first two plays from scrimmage.

Two plays later, Lima found Jonah Sidney for a 12-yard gain to the Norwalk 36 — and the Redskins were in business. Norwalk did force Port Clinton into a third-and-9 from the 35, and running back Cooper Stine was limited to three yards. 

But on fourth-and-6 from the Norwalk 32, Klima connected with Manning again for a 16-yard gain and a new set of downs. On the very next play, Stine broke several tackles on his way to a 16-yard touchdown run. The extra point by Hunter Mominee gave the Redskins a 7-0 lead at the 5:27 mark of the opening quarter.

“They came out firing and came after us,” Fox said of Port Clinton. “Give those guys credit, Coach (Beau) Carmon had those guys ready — and we weren’t ready for it. They went right down our throat.”

But it took Norwalk just seconds to respond.

On the ensuing play from scrimmage, Evan Stumpf burst through a gaping hole on the left side and was in the clear for a 66-yard touchdown run. Just 11 seconds later, the Truckers had tied it up at 7-7 on a Garrison Smith extra point with 5:09 left in the quarter.

Port Clinton then got in two more plays before the second weather delay of the night. The Redskins will have it first-and-10 at their own 31-yard line with 4:20 left in the first quarter when the game resumes on Saturday.

The first weather delay was just before kickoff after the national anthem was performed. The game got underway at 7:38 p.m.

“Our line on that run decided, ‘let’s go,’ and Evan was able to get the seam,” Fox said. “But they’re bringing pressure, and we have to be ready for that in a different situation (today). We were able to respond with the quick score, but it’s going to be a fight. Hopefully everyone comes back out tomorrow to support both schools.”


Norwalk Reflector Videos