'Non-responsive' man pulled from house fire

Cary Ashby • Updated Jul 4, 2019 at 1:42 PM

(UPDATED at 1:22 p.m. Thursday, July 4, 2019)

A local teen and 20 of his pets were killed in a house fire early Wednesday morning.

The victim has been identified as Devin Spooner, 19. He was inside the house at the time of the fire, Huron County Coroner Dr. Jeff Harwood said.

Norwalk firefighters, police officers and North Central EMS responded to 29 Walnut St. shortly after 4 a.m.

Look for the full story in Friday’s Norwalk Reflector.

* * *


An unresponsive Norwalk resident was pulled from the scene of a house fire early Wednesday morning.

Norwalk firefighters, police officers and North Central EMS responded to 29 Walnut St. Fire Capt. Rick Perry declined to be interviewed at the scene and directed all questions to safety-service director Ellen Heinz.

“Shortly after 4 a.m. this morning, there was a house fire at 29 Walnut St. Our police officers, firefighters and first responders responded immediately to the call. Our firefighters acted swiftly to secure and control the scene. They used every measure possible for rescue and to extinguish the fire,” Heinz said, using a prepared statement.

“One resident was found in the home and was non-responsive and then transported by ambulance to Fisher-Titus (Medical Center). One firefighter was transported to Fisher-Titus with a minor injury and was released.”

Heinz was asked to elaborate about the person being unresponsive.

“That means they pulled him from the scene and they weren’t talking at the time,” she said, noting it’s believed there was only one occupant.

“More details will be released after the fire marshal concludes his investigation. We are very thankful for the responsive and quick action of our entire team to contain the fire.” 

A neighbor who only wanted to be identified as Pamela said when she woke, she “heard him pounding” from inside the house. It was just after 4 a.m. when she looked outside and saw smoke coming from the nearby house. The woman also said she saw a male who appeared to be limp and unresponsive.

“We both cried,” she said, referring to herself and her adult son.

By about 9 a.m. firefighters at the scene were rolling up hoses. At the scene were police Detective Sgt. Dave Daniels and Detective Zack O’Neil. When asked about their responsibilities, Heinz said they were there to “review the scene” and support the firefighters.

Authorities called in the fire marshal’s office, which the safety-service director said is part of the normal procedures. Heinz also said the incident is under investigation by the local fire department and state fire marshal. No report was available as of early Wednesday afternoon.

Norwalk Reflector Videos